The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
April 18, 2017
President Trump Promotes "Buy American and Hire American"
gWe will have two simple rules when it comes to this
massive rebuilding effort, buy American and hire Americanh – President Donald J.
NEEDED REFORM TO SUPPORT AMERICAN WORKERS: Rules associated
with Americafs trade deals and immigration policies unfairly place American
companies and workers at a disadvantage.
- Unfair Procurement Rules Work Against American Companies: A February
2017 report by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) suggests the United
States is not getting its fair share of the global government procurement
market through the World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreement on Government
- Data from 2010 – the last year available – shows that while
foreign-owned firms obtained $837 billion in contracts from the United
States Government, American-owned firms received just $381 billion from the
next five largest countries with which we have trade
- Unfair Visa Rules That Harm American Workers: H-1B visas are supposed to
bring the highest skilled and paid labor to the United States, but according
to studies, 80% of the approved applications were for the two lowest wage
- Currently, companies routinely abuse the H-1B visa program by
replacing American workers with lower paid foreign workers.
A BUY AMERICAN AGENDA: President Donald J. Trump is taking action to
enforce laws promoting American industry.
- Today, President Trump signed an executive order promoting American
industry and protecting it from unfair competition.
- This Executive Order targets the abusive use of waivers and exceptions
that undermine gBuy Americanh laws meant to promote taxpayer money going to
American companies. This Executive Order:
- Instructs every agency and department to conduct comprehensive
assessment aimed at cracking down on weak monitoring, enforcement, and
compliance efforts to strengthen Buy American policies.
- Targets waivers and exceptions that have allowed foreign goods
unfair advantages in U.S. government procurement.
- Orders that Americafs involvement in the WTOfs Agreement on
Government Procurement and other trade deals be reviewed to ensure they meet
the Presidentfs standards.
- For the first time, the Buy American bidding process must take into
account unfair trade practices.
- Promotes American-made steel by affirming the gmelted and pouredh
standard for steel production in the United States.
A HIRE AMERICAN AGENDA: President Trump is making sure the
immigration system isnft abused to displace hard-working American workers for
cheaper foreign labor.
- President Trumpfs Executive Order also takes steps to stop the abuse of
the immigration system and protect American workers. This Executive Order:
- Calls on the executive branch to fully enforce the laws governing
the entry of foreign workers into the U.S. economy, to promote rising wages
and more employment.
- Directs federal agencies to propose reforms to the H-1B program in
order shift the program back to its original intent and prevent the
displacement of American workers.
KEEPING HIS PROMISE TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE: President Trump promised
that Buy American - Hire American would be a signature foundation of his
- In his Joint Address to Congress, President Trump promised that gour
national rebuildingh gwill be guided by two core principles: buy
American and hire American.h
- Then President-elect Trump: gWe will have two simple rules when it comes
to this massive rebuilding effort, buy American and hire American.h
- On the campaign trail, Mr. Trump vowed that gthe American people will come
first once again.h